What a wonderful time of year! The weather is cooler and the holidays are quickly approaching.
Did you know that along with the winter holidays the risk of a traffic accident increases? A combination of factors makes it more dangerous to drive to and from your Thanksgiving and Christmas celebrations. Here are some simple ways to make your holiday traveling safer for your and your family.
1. Get started early. Whether you’re driving from Asheville to Wilmington or just down the block, give yourself plenty of time to get to your destinations. Drivers hurrying to get to dinner on time can be more aggressive and less attentive than those who aren’t in a rush. Remember not to follow other drivers too closely; always keep a couple car lengths between you and the car in front of you.
2. Know your limits. If you aren’t comfortable driving in the dark, make sure you plan for a family member or friend to take the wheel after these early 5pm sunsets. Wintry weather can cause a big increase in the risk of a car wreck, so if there is a nasty forecast make plans to avoid driving in the worst of it. Check out these tips from the National Safety Council to make sure your nighttime driving is as safe as possible.
3. Coats and carseats don’t mix. If you have little ones you are toting around, remember to always remove bulky winter coats before buckling them in their carseats. Puffy coats can cause the buckle straps to be too loose to protect your child in the case of a wreck.
4. Never, ever drink and drive. From 2012 – 2017, “an average of 300 people died in drunk driving crashes the week between Christmas and New Year”, according to the US Department of Transportation. If you know you’ll be having a few cocktails, make plans for someone else to drive you home, whether it’s family, a friend, or an Uber driver. For those hosting holiday get togethers, it is wise to pay attention to your guests and discourage anyone from drinking and driving.
We at Egerton Law hope you have a happy and safe holiday season. Follow these tips and keep our North Carolina roads safe for everyone traveling out there.
Has your life been disrupted by an accident causing serious injury or death? Do you or someone you know need a lawyer’s counsel? You can get help at the Egerton Law website. The Egerton Law firm and its personal injury attorneys want to help you. Call us at 336-273-0508 or 800-800-4LAW. E-mail us at [email protected]
Facts about the Egerton Law firm:
- We have built a tradition of helping injured people and their families since the firm was established in 1956.
- We have handled cases in North Carolina, South Carolina, Texas, New York, the District of Columbia, the North Carolina Supreme Court, and U.S. District Court. We have fought cases all the way to the United States Supreme Court.
- Firm founder Lawrence Egerton has a personal understanding of the challenges someone faces after being hurt in a wreck, having suffered a serious injury in a rear-end collision in 1996.
- Our website offers resources on legal issues, informational videos, and a free download of Lawrence’s book “Don’t Follow Too Close.”
Have you had a wreck and the insurance company is:
- Pressuring you to give a statement? (Don’t give a statement without consulting us.)
- Refusing to get you a rental car?
- Making it hard for you to get medical payments?
- Generally giving you a hard time?
Take action and help us to help you. Call or email: 336-273-0508, 800-800-4LAW, [email protected] We can advise you on whether you have a case, how to get a wrecked vehicle paid for and how to get medical care. You will always speak to an attorney on your first call.