The pain that follows a slip or trip and fall accident can be intense and it can be difficult to think clearly in an emergency situation. However, if you are involved in a slip and fall accident or witness someone else’s slip and fall in North Carolina or elsewhere, it can be helpful to take the following steps to protect the victim’s right to recovery.
What You do After Your Slip or Trip and Fall Accident Can Impact Your Recovery
For that reason, it is important to:
• Take pictures of the accident scene as soon as possible. Conditions may change quickly or a property owner or manager may try to fix the dangerous condition that caused your fall so it is important to get pictures as soon as possible – even if you take photos with your cell phone at the time of the accident.
• Get the contact information for witnesses. It’s best to talk to witnesses and get their accounts of the accident immediately following the accident as they may be difficult to locate in the future. However, this is not always possible. If you are unable to get the names and contact information of witnesses at the scene of the accident, try returning to the scene and getting the contact information for any potential witnesses who could have seen your fall.
• Ask for the manager who was on duty at the time of your accident, if applicable. If the manager completed an accident report request that a copy be provided to you or sent to your North Carolina slip and fall attorney. Listen carefully to what the manager tells you. He or she may apologize and admit wrongdoing.
• Seek medical care. Seek emergency medical care if you are in any pain immediately after the accident or consult with your regular physician if pain develops after the time of your fall.
• Contact a North Carolina slip and fall lawyer. The experienced lawyers of Egerton Law zealously represent your legal interests and work hard for your recovery by handling insurance claims and representing you in court, if necessary.
While it is important to take these steps as soon as possible after your accident, do not assume that it is too late to take the steps described above if you’ve already been hurt in slip and fall. Unlike an automobile accident (link to car accident page) you may be able to return the scene of your NC slip and fall accident and get the information that will be important to your recovery after the accident has occurred.
Call Egerton Law at 336-814-2126 today and speak to an experienced NC trip and fall lawyer about your case on your very first call!